Court Gown Updates

I feel like I’ve been working on this a ton, but even though the construction has been progressing, it hasn’t changed too much visually in a few weeks.

First I hand sewed the jacquard ribbon trim onto the front of the bodice, then I spent a couple of weeks hand basting the shell of the bodice to the lining. I took this photo as I was pinning the shell and lining together:

003v2

I decided to make the piping out of the same fabric as the body of the bodice.

piping

And then I discovered that the zipper foot that I have for my machine is basically useless. It’s just 1/8 of an inch slimmer on the edge. It’s still too wide to actually get the needle into the ditch of the piping like it needs to. This means that to get it perfect I should have made the piping by hand and then attached it to the bodice edges by hand. But let’s be serious, ain’t nobody got time for that. :/

I then spent a couple of weeks whipstitching the raw edges back into the lining.

bodiceI finally finished the raw edges this week, so today I hand sewed the rest of the trim onto the front of the bodice and attached the tabs. It looks like this now:

010v2I also cut out the skirt pieces and made a bum roll today. There’s still so much to do, and I’m sort of stalled right now because 1. I can’t figure out how to finish the armscyes in order to be able to lace sleeves onto them 2. I’m nervous to start working on the eyelets because I’m afraid to mess them up 3. I can’t decide if I want to try to sew the ribbon trim onto the skirt front using my machine or if I’m just going to suck it up and do it all by hand 4. I don’t have fabric for the back part of the underskirt right now.

I need to start my Victorian day dress soon if I’m going to try to have it done by December, but I’m a little afraid that if I put this one aside I’m going to end up never finishing it. Plus, usually if I have inspiration for a certain project, trying to redirect my energies into a different one it just ends in disaster. I might venture out tomorrow to get some cheap cotton for the underskirt for the court gown, and also grab some more muslin for the Victorian day dress bodice mock up.

 

 

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “Court Gown Updates

  1. To finish your armholes, I’d recommend either finishing them with bias binding from the dress fabric or turning under the seam allowances of the outer fabric and lining so that they are in between the layers and slip stitching closed.

    I really love the fabric you’ve chosen. Can’t wait to see the finished gown!

    • Oh, yes, I’m probably going to do the bias binding route, but I want to put either tabs around the top 1/3, or just those… wing things. And in that case I need to figure out where to put the eyelets for lacing on the sleeves. I think I’ll need to attach another piece of fabric to put the eyelets on so that I can lace the sleeves on. I haven’t seen a pattern or detailed examples of what I want to do, though, so I’m not sure yet how to go about it.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s